The Hechinger Report, the nonprofit news outlet covering innovation and inequality in education, is looking for a reporting intern. The intern will research, conduct interviews and write about national education issues for our site. Their work may also be published by one of our media partners. Over the 12-week internship, the intern will produce at least one in-depth story on a topic ranging from early childhood education through adult education, with the support of our experienced editors and reporters. Hechinger Report coverage is known for its focus on how education policy affects students and educators in classrooms and on campuses, and the internship usually requires travel.
Intern will also be expected to contribute shorter news items, newsletters and other reporting tasks.
This is a 12 week internship, paid $650 a week. The internship is based in New York City and will be classified as a full-time, 40 hour/week position.
– Master’s degree in journalism or equivalent experience
– Skilled at writing for both print and online audiences
– Experience doing research, conducting interviews and producing on-the-ground reporting
– Comfortable writing analysis pieces based on original reporting
– Able to understand and explain data to a general audience
– Basic knowledge of national education issues
– Photography/multimedia experience
Please send cover letter, resume and links to writing samples to email@example.com.