The Hechinger Report is a nonprofit news outlet that covers education across the United States. We’re a small newsroom with big ambitions to cover the most pressing issues facing classrooms and campuses. Our journalists travel across the country and the world asking tough questions, seeking out promising solutions, and listening to the voices of educators, families and kids. Here are the opportunities to join us in our mission.
Education Reporting Intern — Product, Data and Design
The Hechinger Report is looking for a journalism intern interested in pushing the boundaries of digital publishing. Our portfolio of digital journalism has taken public data and transformed it into viral stories and easily understood graphics and interactives that untangle complex issues in K-12 and higher education for students and parents.
The intern will be a team member on an interactive, data-driven journalism product that will either inform our audiences or be used internally to enhance and strengthen Hechinger Report’s investigative and explanatory reporting on education. The product that is produced in this work may also be published by one of our media partners.
Over the 12-week internship, the intern will produce at least one interactive product or app alongside the data visualization and interactives developer, with the support of editors and reporters. The intern will contribute to the project in a way that aligns with their experience and strengths, whether that is digital design, web development, or data management and analysis.
This intern can be based anywhere in the US, reporting to a staffer in NYC. Pay is $650/week. The internship is 12 weeks during the summer, with flexible start and end dates.
- Bachelor’s degree, (many interns come from journalism backgrounds but graduates with computer science and data analysis backgrounds with an interest in journalism invited to apply)
- Proven experience working in collaboration with a larger team
- Knowledge of national education issues
- Enjoys creative problem solving
- Experience in one of the following areas:
- Digital design (such as Adobe XD, Illustrator, Corel etc.)
- Data analysis (such as R, Tableau, Python, etc.)
To apply, send a resume, cover letter and portfolio of work to email@example.com. In your cover letter, please tell us what interests you about digital journalism and how you have built your technical skills.
Southern Education Reporter
The Hechinger Report is looking for a reporter in the South for our website and for collaborations with our national and local news partners. This writer will focus primarily on early childhood education. In addition to joining our award-winning team of reporters covering early childhood, they will also cover topics in K-12 and higher education in the South.
The reporter will cover stories about the region through the lens of Hechinger’s mission to reveal inequality and examine solutions and innovations in the field. The reporter will be based in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, or West Virginia, and will involve travel to communities throughout the South and occasionally to Hechinger’s headquarters in New York City. This position will report to an editor based in Maryland.
In addition to long-form enterprise and investigative stories, the reporter will occasionally contribute to a bimonthly newsletter about early childhood education. Reporter must have the ability to juggle multiple long-form stories and meet deadlines. Experience writing about marginalized or traditionally disenfranchised communities is required.
This position is paid $58,500/year. Because we are housed at Teachers College, this position will also receive the College’s comprehensive benefits package described here.
- Degree in journalism or related field
- Excellent news judgement and ability to spot trends and important stories
- Able to write with style and confidence about complicated topics in a way that engages readers in the general public
- Experience covering education for a news outlet
- Knowledge of education issues in South
- Ability to collaborate with a variety of people
- Experience taking photographs for news coverage
- At least 2 years experience as a full-time reporter at a news outlet
- Comfortable writing about complex education research
- Experience writing a newsletter
- Confidence and experience appearing in broadcast media
- Comfort in using data in reporting
The application deadline is May 6. In addition to a resume and three clips of your published journalism, please prepare a one-page cover letter that answers the following questions:
1) What’s the most underreported education issue in the South?
2) How would you go about covering it?