The Hechinger Report is a nonprofit news outlet that covers education across the U.S. We’re a small newsroom with big ambitions to cover the most pressing issues facing classrooms and campuses. Our journalists travel across the country and the world asking tough questions, seeking out promising solutions, and listening to the voices of educators, families and kids. Here are the opportunities to join us in our mission.
Staff Writer (Mississippi)
Job Summary/Basic Function: The Hechinger Report, the nonprofit news outlet covering innovation and inequality in education, is looking for a staff writer to cover the South for our website and for collaborations with our news partners. The staff writer will report on education across a range of ages and geographies through the lens of Hechinger’s mission to reveal inequality and examine solutions and innovations in the field. The job will be based in Mississippi and will involve travel to communities throughout the state and potentially elsewhere in the region, including Louisiana.
The staff writer will write a bimonthly newsletter about education in Mississippi that explores its status as one of the lowest-performing states in the nation, along with progress it is making and potential solutions for improving schools and conditions for children there. The writer will also produce regular enterprise stories highlighting ways education policy affects classrooms and families in Mississippi and the surrounding region.
This position requires the ability to juggle multiple long-form stories and meet deadlines. Experience writing about marginalized or traditionally disenfranchised communities is required. Approximately 15% of the year will be spent travelling, with expenses prepaid or reimbursed.
- Undergraduate degree in journalism or equivalent reporting experience
- Excellent news judgement and ability to spot trends and important stories that haven’t been covered elsewhere
- Able to write with style and confidence about complicated topics in a way that engages readers in the general public
- Comfortable writing about complex education research
- At least 5 years reporting experience
- Experience taking photographs for news stories
- Experience writing about marginalized or traditionally disenfranchised communities
- Ability to collaborate with a variety of people, including editors from partner news outlets
- Ability to discuss stories on radio and on panels at conferences
- Driver’s license and access to reliable personal transportation for travel in the state and region.
- At least two years covering education for a news outlet
- Experience in data analysis
- Experience writing a newsletter
- Knowledge of education issues in Mississippi
- Confidence and experience appearing in broadcast media
The Hechinger Report is housed at Teachers College, Columbia University and applicants must apply through the TC site here. A resume, cover letter and at least three clips are required.